Stolen Bread Tastes Sweet

17 Stolen bread tastes sweet, but it turns to gravel in the mouth.
Proverbs 20:17 (NLT)

This verse is about the pros and cons of sin. Stolen bread may taste sweet because it comes with the thrill of stealing it. It comes with the thrill of getting something without having to pay for it. However, God tells us that it will turn into gravel once it is eaten. Why is that so? Stealing is sin. We were never designed to sin. Sin is toxic to us. It is harmful. God did not call sin, sin because he wanted us to be poor. He called sin, sin because sin makes us poor. God wants us to be rich even to the extend of sending his only begotten Son to die poor at the Cross, to make us rich. So, if you don’t want to be poor, stay away from sin.

Let me illustrate further. If you are to start a new business, statistically you only have a 10% chance of succeeding. In other words, there is a 90% chance of you failing or only 1 in 10 attempts will be successful. However, when you are successful in the one, you can make more than enough money to cover the losses of the previous 9 attempts. This means that if you don’t give up and learn from mistakes, you are going to make it big.

Sin is just the opposite. Even if you can have the success rate of 99% (you managed to get away with 99 out of 100 crimes that you have committed), you will still be in trouble because the one time that you were caught will expose the previous 99 successful crimes that you have committed. This is why sin is never profitable in long run.

Why do people still attracted to sin? It appears to provide a shortcut to our desires. Supposed you are in need of money and you are in charge of your company finances. Your superiors trust in you completely because they have known you for a long time and you have presented yourself as an honest and reliable person. The devil will tempt you into creating some false documents to get the money from the company accounts into yours. You know the system well and you have the expertise to do that. You know how to cover your tracks. You know that you will not be caught. So the question here is, will you do it?

If you read the news you will find many people had done that and were caught for doing what I have illustrated above. They knew the system, had ways to exploit the system and cover their tracks. However, they were still caught because one day, someone else checked the records. While I believe there can be such a thing as a perfect crime, the criminals involved will still be caught because there are no perfect criminals. Criminals who had been successful in their crimes will grow arrogant and increase in their greed. They will commit more crimes thus giving the police more chances to catch them.

I am putting up all these to show us that as Christians, we do not need to resort to sin or crimes to fulfill our needs. Sin is a lousy way to riches. Our God is more than able to give us exceedingly and abundantly above all we dare to ask him for.

20 Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.
Ephesians 3:20 (NLT)

God does not want us to turn to sin or crimes to fulfill our needs and desires. He is here for us and he is willing to fulfill the desires of our hearts. The question is, are we willing to turn to him?

4 Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart’s desires.
Psalm 37:4 (NLT)

Start taking delight in him. Start believing that whatever your needs and desires are right now, God is working behind the scenes to get them for you. You need to believe and not waver in your faith. In short, turn to God and turn away from sins. Your reward will be great.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: